Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Visual Medicine - the art of the unknown

Several years ago, I was taught by the artist and Psychotherapist, Suzette Clough, her visual medicine no brush technique.  It literally transformed my perspective on painting, and my relationship with my creativity which at that time was under threat from ovarian cancer.

Suzette's method taught me how to develop a relationship through the paint with what my soul wanted to say.  I painted many, many paintings, large and small using this technique, and have filled several boxes and journals.  As she says in her brilliant new book, "Visual Medicine - the art of the unknown', the paintings always talk back to me the more I look at them, and live with them.  This isn't a quick process for me.  Sometimes the messages within the images are clear immediately, and other times I have to stare at them and, come back to them, look again, before I fully connect with their message.  I am always shocked when I meet myself in the image!  When I see the part of my psyche that I have been hiding ... that's the exciting part about using visual medicine, it is a natural healing technique.

I re-entered my studio today after a long hiatus, and began my practice by making some visual medicine paintings.  I know that by tomorrow I will be buzzing with ideas and words to write which will lead me somewhere exciting in my children's writing.

Buy Visual Medicine here.



No comments:

Post a Comment