The thing I do most in my practice is listen to my clients. Over the years the quality of my listening has deepened, so that now I am listening to the silences as well as the words that are spoken. Often it's in those gaps that we find meaning and significance.
Listening is a powerful tool, and so underestimated in our noisy world. Sometimes it's difficult to find the quiet amongst the noise and business.
When I listen to my inner voice I always hear the truth.
When I listen to my body I hear the wisdom fighting to be heard (take a rest!)
When I listen to my hungers I find satisfaction and contentment versus quick fixes.
When I listen to my hunches they lead me to my next steps.
When I listen to my internal chattering critic I hear worry and anxiety calling ...
When I listen to my clients I remember why I do what I do!
This book 'All I did was listen' by Rachel Awes is a great reminder of the power of listening. Our clients trust us with their stories, and we honour them by listening and hearing them.

No comments:
Post a Comment